Oliver Grant Tullis (1864-1938)
Editors Note: The following biographical sketch is from "Ingersolls Century History, Santa Monica Bay Cities" by Luther A. Ingersoll (1908). Since Olivers parents, Andrew T. Tullis and Matilda Bush, were pictured in the last issue, it seemed appropriate to include the sketch of Oliver in this issue.
O. G. Tullis, resident of Santa Monica, a native of Bloomington, Ill., was born October 16th, 1864, spent his youth and received his early education in his native town. He came with his parents to Los Angeles in 1875. His father was Andrew T. Tullis, a photographer, who for a time owned the old Sunbeam Gallery, for many years one of the leading picture making establishments of old Los Angeles. He finally retired to his ranch in Coldwater Canyon, where he died in 1877. A son, W. L. Tullis, now lives on the home place. Mrs. Tullis was, before marriage, Matilda Bush, daughter of Michael Bush, a German. She was a sister of the late venerable Charles Bush, one of the best known pioneers of Los Angeles. She is living at the homestead in Coldwater Canyon. Mr. Tullis attended the early schools of Los Angeles, first at Eighth and Fort Streets, now Broadway, later in the old building that stood on the present site of the County Court House.
He learned the manufacturing jewelers trade of his uncle, the late Charles Bush and his brother, Woodford B. Tullis, deceased, 1897. He was a prosperous jeweler of Los Angeles, whose store was located at the corner of Fourth and Spring Streets. Mr. Tullis came to Santa Monica and opened his shop in March, 1885, at 1426 Third Street, in the front room of the postoffice, when the late Judge Boyce was postmaster, and is still doing business at the old stand.
Mr. Tullis married in Los Angeles Miss Anna C. Berdini and they have one daughter, Olive.
Mr. Tullis is a Mason, Elk, Odd Fellow, Knight of Pythias, Forester and Maccabee. He is one of the substantial merchants of Santa Monica.
From the Santa Monica Public Library images collection: O.G. Tullis Jewelry/Camera Shop, 208 Third Street. The lights were both gas and electric, 1902 (Santa Monica the Way It Was - slide presentation commemorating the City's Centennial Anniversary, 1975) - Connie Cramer Collection.